Royal Gazelle is the only Dutch bicycle factory that may add the designation ‘Royal’ to its name. Exactly one week before the inauguration of the new King of the Netherlands, Dutch TV broadcast a short item about the ‘Royal Gazelle’ bicycle factory and its honorary Royal title.
Short item about the Dutch bicycle factory Royal Gazelle.
From the website of Royal Gazelle:
Gazelle is the only Dutch bicycle brand that received the Royal Seal of Approval. In 1992 Gazelle was awarded this special honour by Princess Margriet. The Royal title is a distinction which can be awarded to associations, foundations, establishments or large enterprises.
It symbolises the respect, recognition and trust of the Queen in the beneficiary. Only the Queen can award the title. The designation is strictly by title and means that the organisation may add ‘Royal’ to its name and include the Royal Crown in the logo.
In order to be eligible an organisation must meet the following criteria:
- it must have been incorporated for a minimum of one hundred years;
- be influential in its field;
- demonstrably stable and enjoy a good financial reputation;
- not be part of a larger concern that already has the “Royal” distinction;
- be known as a Dutch company.